Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ethnic Diversity Ale

okay, weird name I know. The kit came as Guillermo's Imperial Pilsner which I don't like saying so I'm changing it up. Ethnic Diversity seemed fitting seeing as the malt extract was derived from American grains, the hops are German, the yeast strain is Bavarian and the beer is being touted as Mexican. This batch fits right in with the Zoo's theme for '08....Going Global, WORLDWIDE.

I can't wait to try this batch...I chose this kit because of how odd/interesting all the ingredients were and I am interested to see how its all going to come together. One of the other interesting features of this kit is that it is called a Pilsner but it is made using Ale yeast that ferments around 60-65. but apparently after bottling you can cold condition the beer to bring out more of a Pilsner feel/taste or condition at room temp for a more Ale feel. Pretty cool. Not sure how I am going to play that...maybe half and half? I am more of an ale fan usually but I'm no hater of lagers either so well see.

I think this kit should take about 2 months or maybe a little bit less so look for this batch to be ready to drink around mid-late June.


sweet broom

Finally got around to bottling this batch, probably almost a month later than I had originally planned. Got busy with some bachelor parties and weddings and the what not and before you know it this batch has been sitting in secondary for over a month. But not to worry, I think the extra time chilling out did the batch well, it looks great in the glass, tried a bit and it was nice and smooth. And it has about 4 weeks to condition until Lakerage. Perfectly in line with corporate goals. On time, under budget and within scope. BOO YAH.

Ethnic Diversity Ale. Locked and Loaded.
Ready for Lakerage.

*UPDATE*: Joe and I tried a sampling of this batch over the holiday weekend and I am pretty pleased with how it came out. Decent strength, but not harsh, good weight for summer. Its going to be PERFECT for lakerage.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog and checking out those pictures. Looks like a really interesting process.

    ReplyDelete